Dec 12, 2011

Chad and Jodi Hines from Willow Creek Kennels

A few years ago, when I first started trying to incorporate clicker training into field work, I was a little unsure of its potential. I didn’t know of anyone else using the method and was starting to doubt its usefulness. Then one day I came across Willow Creek Kennels videos on youtube. Someone else was using clicker training on bird dogs!

Willow Creek has developed a great system of balancing positive and negative reinforcement. They pair clicker training with gentle pressure from a vibration collar (no e-stimulation, vibration like your cell phone) making it very easy for the dog to understand. As far as I know, they are the only professional training outfit that’s incorporating vibration collars into their program.

They have a video called “using pigeons as positive reinforcement”, that I use with any dog I start. It helps build teamwork and bring out the pointing instinct.

Check out their website,
http://www.willowcreekkennels.net/. They have a lot of good training information and videos (they have more available on youtube).

Here is a good link to Chad Hines explaining how their training program works.

http://www.garyengbergoutdoors.com/blog/2010/12/30/dog-training-tips-using-clickervibration-approach-by-dt-systems-pro-staffer-chad-hines-12-30-2010/

I can’t say enough good things about them.